Travel Adaptors for Europe

Travel Adaptors for Europe

Travel Adaptors for Europe

Travel is one of the most popular past-times in the world. Visiting new places and experiencing new cultures in Europe is now so easy with cheap flights connecting countries. But if you need to take electronic devices with you, then you need to plan ahead and research European travel adaptors.


Arriving in a foreign country, with your smartphone nearly dead and then discovering you don’t have the right travel adaptor can be extremely frustrating to say the least. Your phone’s battery charge is only going to last a day or so, which means you need to find a way to recharge them. Here is where the travel adaptor comes in.

In Europe there are basically 2 socket types you need to consider, Type G for the United Kingdom, Ireland, Malta and Cyprus and Type C for the rest of Europe. However, there are some local variations that look like the type C, but have a different prong size.


Adaptor or convertor

If you are living in Europe, with European devices, then you will only need a European adaptor. If you are from outside Europe, then it is vital to check the voltage your items require. Europe runs on 220v, whereas many other countries use 110v systems. Mixing up the two could be disastrous. If your electrical item needs 110v, then you need a power convertor, not a European travel adaptor.

Some modern appliances will be multi voltage, removing the necessity for a convertor. This will be stated on the side of the product, and in this case a European travel adaptor will be perfect.

Different country, different socket

Type C

The majority of European countries use what is called the Type C plug. This has 2 round prongs but no earth connector and is also known as the Europlug. However, there are some differences to note. Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Portugal, Spain and Eastern Europe all use a type C that has prongs based on the “Schuko” plug. These prongs are slightly thicker than the normal type C plug.

Type G

In the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta the Type G plug is used and this consists of 3 rectangular prongs. The prongs form a triangle, with the top prong providing an earth connection.


Which adaptor?

There are many travel adaptors on the market, but which is right for you? For convenience, it makes sense to pick an adaptor that can be used in as many countries as possible.

For type G, all the sockets are the same size and shape. With the type C sockets there are a couple of important points to note

  • Prong size — make sure the prongs are for standard type C. In this way, they will also fit the slightly larger Schuko type sockets.
  • Many type C sockets are recessed into the wall, so ensure that the adaptor you choose will fit inside the recess.

When we travel these days, we tend to take a myriad of devices with us that all need charging. Luckily, many of these devices can be charged via a USB connector, so make sure your adaptor offers at least 2 USB points.


JY304 Power Plug Travel Adaptor

The SublimeWare Multi Country Adaptor meets all your requirements for a European travel adaptor and much more.

This compact and lightweight unit offers both type C and type G connectors along with 4 USB connectors for all those essential devices, such as your smartphone, tablet and camera.

It will accept devices with plugs from many countries, including the USA/Canada/Japan, the UK, Europe Type C, Australia and China.

It’s important to note that this is an adaptor, not a convertor. Whatever voltage you plug the adaptor into, is the voltage supplied to the device connected to the adaptor. The only exception to this is the 4 USB connections, that will supply the standard 5v DC for charging your mobile, tablet or camera.

Additionally, the adaptor should not be used for high power devices such as hair-dryers or kettles.

Having arrived at your destination a little tired from travelling, it’s nice to know that you planned ahead and can recharge not only your batteries, but those of your devices, in a safe way. Happy travelling!

Back to blog