Travel adapter for Canada

Travel adapter for Canada

Best travel adapter for Canada

Traveling to Canada for business or pleasure? Then don’t forget to pack a travel adapter for all your electronic devices. Without one, you may end up with flat batteries, meaning you can’t call home, take photographs or surf the web!

Travel adapter to charge multiple devices 

So who needs a travel adapter for Canada

Anyone whose home country uses a different plug and socket combination will need a travel adapter when visiting Canada. 

In North America, there is a standard plug and socket combination, so if you are just traveling over the border from the United States, then you don’t need a travel adapter. Having said that, taking a multi-country travel adapter may make sense.

 Why you may ask! Well, many of our electronic devices are now charged via the USB connector, which is great. But that means you either charge one item at a time or you take multiple chargers, taking up valuable luggage space. 

Instead, take the SublimeWare Multi-Country Travel Adapter and it has 4 separate USB connections, so you can charge all your devices at the same time! Brilliant and all in one small package. 

Canada plug and socket

Canada has adopted type’s A and B plugs and sockets, identical to the USA. However, if you are traveling from most other countries in the world, you will need a travel adapter.

Type A plug and socket

Type A is a two-prong plug for items that do not require an earth connection. It comprises two flat prongs of different widths and normally with a small hole at the tip. The prong's width is to ensure the plug can only be inserted in one way. This is known as polarization. The small holes mate up with small bumps within the socket that grip the prongs to prevent the plug from falling out by accident. 

Type B is the earthed version of type A and adds a round pin. Type A plugs will fit type B sockets, but not the other way around. 

Electrical supply in Canada

Along with the adapter, it is important to consider the electrical voltage. Not all countries operate on the same voltage or frequency. Canada, again in common with North America, uses 120V at 60Hz. 

There are two bands of electrical supply in the world, from 100V-127V and from 220V-240V. It’s important to know the voltage in your country and also what voltages your electrical items can operate on. 

If your device uses the lower band of 100V-127V, then you have no problems in Canada. Items rated in the 220V-240V range will probably not work in Canada without a power converter and may be damaged

Multi and dual-voltage devices

Some devices can operate on more than one voltage. Check our previous article on how to identify which voltages your device can use

Suffice to say, that if you plug an item designed for 120V into a 240V supply, is 99% certain it will be damaged and might be dangerous. The other way around is probably safe, but the item most likely won’t work so why risk it. 

If the item is not multi or dual-voltage, then you will need a power converter in addition to a travel adapter.

Charge multiple items with a travel adapter

One exception to this is the USB connection. This is always a 5Vdc supply, and it is safe to plug in any USB device anywhere in the world. 

In summary

Traveling to Canada from a country outside of North America will most likely mean you need a travel adapter.

 In addition, if your device is not multi-voltage, then a power converter will also be required, except for USB devices that can be charged using USB connections on your travel adapter.

Back to blog